Friday, April 28, 2017

Second Post: What me worry?---Never!


What?  Me worry?--Never!

33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (Matthew 6:33-34)

My son was going into the 4th grade and I had him tested at the Christian school where my daughter went and where I taught to see if he would be accepted to attend school there.  We couldn’t afford to send both of our children to the small Christian school, so he had been in the public school system since kindergarten.  When he was tested, the teacher felt that his reading and writing skills were not strong enough to be able to go to school there.  At first, I was angry.  How dare they say such a thing, but it was the truth, so I had to face it.  Then, it went to worry--worry about him having to stay in the public school system, would he get in with the wrong crowd, do the wrong things, learn the wrong, secular things of this world, (you know the rest).  It was suggested that he have a psych evaluation to verify what we already knew, that he had dyslexia.  He already had an IEP and was getting help in the public school system.  Help that he wouldn’t be able to get at the private school.  But I worried about my child being brought up in a place where our Christian values were not always looked on favorably.  So, I prayed and worried and worried some more (cause that always helps right?), then fast forward about 4 years--he is now in 7th grade, and doing pretty well.  He’s made honor role at school and is an expert typist (because big bad mama typing teacher made him-which I do believe helps students who may be struggling with dyslexia and spelling issues).  He has good friends, is in sports, is a Senior Airman in the local Civil Air Patrol, stays out of trouble and has displayed the love of Christ by taking up for kids that have been bullied in school.  He’s even earned the nickname the BFG (Big Friendly Giant from the book by Roald Dahl) because of his kindness to others and even won an award in 5th grade for being a leader in anti-bullying.  So, I have come to the conclusion that I worried for nothing, he didn’t worry, my husband didn’t worry, and God didn’t worry, cause He had this the entire time.  So, why should I?

Ahhhh worry—Do you worry?   What a question, of course you do.  If you’re a mother, , a wife, or both or even neither…you worry.

God tells us in the Bible NOT to worry, because Jesus “has overcome the world” (John 16:33 NIV).  And I think we as Christians, think “well sure, Jesus is the Son of God, what does He have to (or had to) worry about?  He knew how it would end then and knows the future, therefore what did (or does) He have to fear?” 

We, on the other hand, have plenty to worry about.  I know as a mother of two dyslexic children, I constantly worry that they will be held back, due to them not being able to read or learn as well as others.  Of course the solution to the problem is to have them read more often and practice, so they will know how to cope with it, because their dyslexia will never go away.  However, even though I am a librarian and writer, reading is still not something they do as often as I would like, but sometimes you have to just let it go and let God take over.

Or the soaring drug problem that plagues our country, heck, I remember when I was in high school and you’d walk into certain bathrooms and there would be this haze of smoke hovering over the stalls because girls were smoking.  I had heard rumors that people also smoked…dare I say it…pot!   (Which for the life of me I will never understand why the state of Massachusetts, where I live now, and has seen an increase in drug-related deaths over the past few years, legalized it for recreational use recently—DUH!  It starts small usually and then progresses unfortunately.).

Or how will my children do when they start driving?  My daughter just took a class and will be taking her driver’s test soon and even though she’s ready, it’s been in part, because we’ve dragged our feet on letting her finally get it.  She’ll be getting her license at the end of the month and in August, she’ll be 18.  It’s really hard to let go of worry, especially when you can’t control the nuts driving out there and just like anywhere else, there are a lot of them and of course, (truth be told, other drivers probably consider me to be just as nutty as well).  Like the time my daughter was driving and was stopped waiting to make a left turn and cross traffic.  The woman behind her kept on honking at her, until I got out of the car and explained that she was only 16 and to give her a break!  (I don’t recommend doing that often, it may get you shot if you’re not careful.).

Or the fact that our world has changed significantly since 911 and that there are people who want to kill us and our society, because we don’t have their same views. 

So, what do we do, so we don’t worry? Well, we worry because we can’t control the situation.  My husband says it’s one of the things I have a hard time doing—to NOT try and control a situation.  But what’s funny is I know the ONE that does control it all and you know what? He’s got this (and he’s got “this” for you too).  One of the ways I try to think about it is this way, I keep thinking about heaven and then one day when I go there, I’ll just wake up and be there and NOT have to worry about ANYTHING..ANYTHING!   Wow, now just let that sink in for a moment.  Then, what will I do?  It’ll be just like the happy endings in the movies, but bettah!  (a little Massachusetts humor for you).

My husband says, “If you’re really a child of God, you won’t worry.” And that lovely statement is directed at me every time he says it.
Not worry? Yeah right.  If I don’t, then WHO will? 
-Who will worry about my kids getting into a good college?
-Or if they have good friends and don’t get bullied?
-Or that our family has enough money to pay all the bills, or every little extra cost that comes up?
-Or if they are lead away from God in this day and age of extreme temptation and secularism? 

Matthew 6:25
Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?

So, these are for the simple creature comforts of life, not about the harder stuff—right?

Matthew 6:27
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his lifespan?

If anything, I think this scripture verse is almost saying that we’re wasting our time worrying and getting older doing it, more gray hairs you know.

So, how do we NOT worry?
So glad you asked and though I don’t have a scholarly answer, I think my answer is an appropriate one.

I want you to think back, back to two times in your life when something went bad, horrible, sad, slow, miserable, hopeless times in your life, one while you believed in Him and one when you did not or were not as strong in your faith as you are now.

Now, compare the two times together, when you went through a bad time, before you believed in Him (or were going through a time when you didn’t feel close to him or strong in your faith) and the other when you did believe in Him.  Can you compare them and ask yourself this?  “Was there a difference in the feelings you felt, while going through these two ordeals? 

Does knowing the Creator of the Universe, who made you and loves you NO MATTER what you do (or say or think), good or bad, make or made you feel, in that hard time that you believed, that you would survive it? 

I think it’s true that these types of trials sharpen us, strengthen our faith, and trust in Him and because that is true, God often times whispers to me during these tough times, “Just wait a week, or a month, or a year and things will be so different.”  And then I calm down, trust, pray, wait and see.  Every single time I SEE that truth that He has whispered to me each time that I (or my family) is going through a rough patch.  Wait—just wait on Him--wait a day, a week, a month, or even a year.  Your situation will be different.  Sometimes the worry puts a dark cloud over the goodness and brightness and happiness that can come often from the Unknown.  So, there are times I take a deep breath and think, isn’t this exciting?  I have NO idea what is coming around the corner-- the possibilities are endless, God’s possibilities are endless, His promises for His children are endless and YOU are HIS child. 

In my life I know this to be true for me (and search your experiences or keep a journal of the good and bad in your life and I’m sure you’ll find the same), God has NEVER let me down and even though I will let Him down and others (numerous times in my imperfect life) He never will and that leads me NOT to worry—well, to be truthful…not nearly as much, but I, like all other sinners who believe in Him, am relying on His strength to help me through it—and He does because this is His creation and He is ALWAYS in control, no matter how crazy this world gets. 

“Be strong and courageous!  DO NOT be afraid or discouraged.  For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”  Joshua 1:9

Here a website with some great Bible verses to help you address your worry and anxiety.  Memorize a few to have in your arsenal when you are feeling you need His strength.

Many blessings to you today and thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to add that, as a Christian teacher, I have never felt called to teach in a Christian school. God has set the people that your kids are supposed to meet in their paths. Just like your son shows Christ's love to his peers at school, I'll bet that there is a teacher there that will encourage his growth both academically, socially and spiritually. Although I do not preach in class, a few students who are close to me have had conversations with me after school about my faith.

    ReplyDelete